Sometimes, I’m lazy. I’ll admit it. Sometimes I leave the house without breakfast and subsequently chomp on a cereal bar at about 10am because I’m starving and will literally die (ok, maybe not but hunger makes me over dramatic) without food.
Unfortunately the cereal bars I reach for are high in sugars and fats, which isn’t great for my summer body (2018 because 2017 is a lost cause).
To combat this issue, last weekend I made some Sugar Free and reduced fat Rice Crispy Squares.
180g Rice Crispys ( or your favourite supermarket own brand ‘puffed rice cereal’ )
300g Sugar Free Marshmallows – I found these on amazon, but Sainsburys also sell some!
45g Coconut Oil
85% Dark Chocolate (Optional)
Chopped nuts (optional)
Orange rind (Optional)
Pretty much any toppings/fillings that take your fancy as long as they’re sugar free!
What to do:
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, melt the coconut oil.
- Once the coconut oil is fully melted, add in the marshmallows and stir until full melted and combined.
- take off of the heat.
- In a large heat proof bowl, pour the rice crispys, melted marshmallows and any additional fillings (I.e chopped nuts) and stir until fully combined.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan lightly with coconut oil
- pour the rice crispy mixture into the creased pan.
- lightly grease your hand and flatten the rice crispy, marshmallowey goodness. Making sure to push it all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Melt some 85% chocolate in the microwave (in 30 second bursts) and pour into a disposable piping bag.
- Snip the tip of the piping bag and go crazy. Pipe any type of pattern you fancy on top of your rice crispy treats
- Pop the tray in the fridge for an hour to allow to set.
- Gently remove from the tray and place onto a chopping board. (if the bottom is a little tacky, you can sprinkle powdered sweetener on the chopping board to prevent sticking.
- Chop into squares, or any shape you like, you could even use a cookie cutter to get different shaped treats! The choice is yours!
I found that these kept really well in a Tupper wear container. Enjoy as a snack on the go, or with a cuppa, whatever you want!
Hope you enjoy.
Please let me know if there is anything else you’d like me to make sugar free!